Civil Engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including works such as buildings, bridges, flyovers, under passes, roads, railway tracks, airports, docks and harbors, factories, dams, barrages, canals, water supply schemes and sewerage systems.
The Civil Engineering Section at Shinas College of Technology is the youngest specialization which was established in May 2011 with the first batch of 25 students.
The section offers Diploma and Advanced Diploma Levels, leading to the Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering which is available in Higher College of Technology, Muscat.
The Civil section contains major specializations of civil engineering:
- Building materials
- Environmental Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Hydraulics Engineering
- Structural Engineering
The Civil Engineering Section is committed to provide the highest quality education to students aiming to attain leadership roles in their profession and use their knowledge and skills for the enhancement of human welfare and for the development of the Sultanate.
The program goal is to provide high quality education and training that will enhance the students' creativity and logical capacity and enable them to communicate effectively to be technically competent in Civil Engineering, to work to the highest ethical standards, to function in multi-disciplinary teams and independently, and to analyze and produce simple designs of different structures.
The students are expected to:
1. Communicate effectively in both written and verbal English Language, in any professional setting.
2. Work individually and in a team.
3. Apply the relevant civil engineering fundamentals in the professional environment.
4. Take an active role and participate in their career development ensuring technical competence.
5. Make use of the available computer communication resources.
6. Maintain and practice high standards of ethics and integrity.
7. Organize work and manage their time in order to achieve the set target.
8. Use engineering tools necessary for civil engineering practice.
9. Work on multi-disciplinary projects.
10. Accurately apply civil engineering principles in the professional environment.
a. The use of Computer-aided Design for producing structural drawings.
b. Interpretation of drawing details.
c. Assisting in producing professional presentations of designs.
11. Understand and apply the principles of Civil Engineering.
The graduates should have the ability to:
1. Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering.
2. Produce structural drawings.
3. Accurately interpret structural drawings.
4. Function in multi-disciplinary teams.
5. Identify, analyze and solve civil engineering problems.
6. Appreciate professional and ethical responsibilities.
7. Communicate effectively.
8. Analyze issues logically and creatively.
9. Recognize the need for and ability to engage in lifelong learning.
10. Have the knowledge of contemporary issues relating to civil engineering.
11. Use the techniques, skills, and modern tools necessary for civil engineering practice.
12. Apply the concepts and principles of structural analysis and design.
13. Use the concepts of soil mechanics in Civil Engineering.
14. Apply the basic concepts of land surveying.
15. Recognize and utilize different construction materials.
16. Construct plans to meet time-constrained targets.
17. Present designs.
18. Inspect site work after gaining sufficient experience under the supervision of professionals.